new to derm RN in Florida

JCozza

new to derm RN in Florida

Post by JCozza » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:03 am

Hi
I've recently left bedside for a Derm practice. I am the first RN that the Dr has hired. He has a PA, Nurse Practitioner, MA's, and Aestheticians at his practice. I was wondering if any fellow RN's that work dermatology (especially Florida) can give any insight on what their typical position in the office entails. I absolutely love it so far. Everything is very new to me, and its a breath of fresh air to be learning so much.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TCoyner

Re: new to derm RN in Florida

Post by TCoyner » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Congratulations on your new position and welcome to dermatology. I am sure that when you were hired the job description had certain expectations. I am a NP and my current practice setting does not employ RNs but I will share with you what I would want a RN to do in my practice if we had one on staff. When I think about what the strengths nursing brings to a practice setting I think of patient education and assessing how the patient is handling their dermatology problem/diagnosis - this would include how surgery patients are doing - do they have questions, etc. Also I could see your role evolving into patient triage and helping patients get their prescribed medications. Some practices also have a nurse biologic coordinator. Of course, this all depends on what type of patients are usually encountered in your practice setting.